Hello, I do expect the on-prem object storage adoption to go through the roof with backup solutions support for backing up directly to object storage. The ratio between the on-prem and cloud looks to be about 50/50. Thanks to S3 endpoint names often carrying a hint on the object storage device behind it, it is clear that Dell EMC ECS remains the king of large-scale on-prem object storage deployments. Data showed that object storage was almost exclusively used by enterprise customers, these days there is also a long tail of smaller deployments on vendors like Wasabi (Cloud Hot Storage). Here’s a blog post about Object Storage as backup target with Veeam B&R v12.1.
Health Checks for Veeam Capacity Tier:
It’s cheap: check existence of objects instead reading entirely. It’s cheap because it only cost API calls. 1$ per 190TB (depends on customer pricing of course). Health check enabled per default (new installations).
Object Storage performance improvements with Veeam v12.1:
- Faster deletions,
- Faster rescan,
- Faster import.
Save Costs Google Coldline Storage Class:
- Same concept as AWS S3 “Infrequent Access”,
- 90 days minimum duration,
- Adds retrieval fees.
Similar to AWS S3 Infrequent Access, Google Coldline storage class is a public cloud cold storage service for infrequently accessed data. Google default class configuration is irrelevant. It’s not as cold as AWS Glacier deep archive though.
Increased security for Azure Blob Storage:
Ability to add new or existing storage accounts, using Azure AD authentication with EntraID (Azure AD) authentication.
- Azure AD account / Application registration support,
- Account / shared key stays supported.
Faster restore with Azure Cold Tier:
Microsoft released its analog of AWS S3 Glacier Instant Retrieval and called it Cold Tier. The cold tier is currently in preview and is available in all public regions. It’s similar to Instant Retrieval, Cold Tier is an archive access tier that delivers long-term storage for data that might require retrieval in milliseconds.
- Online tier minimum 90 days duration,
- Costs between cool and archive tier,
- Use as “archive tier” in Scale Out Repository.
On-Prem Archive Tier Support:
Why? Cost savings with tape.
- Via Smart Object Storage API for Amazon ,
- S3 Glacier compatible systems.
- PoINT (confirmed for launch),
- SpectraLogic .
Why backup directly to Object Storage?:
- -Built-in durability/reliability: “11 nines” offered by vendors,
- -Alternative to Hardened Repository & “Appliance” demand (for customers without Linux knowledge for example),
- -Financial reasons (existing Object Storage can be cheaper than SAN),
- -Management reasons (less hardware in branch offices/home office),
- -Security (Object Lock is a data protection feature wherein a user can designate certain files or “objects” to be immutable, meaning they cannot be altered or deleted by anyone. Via the policies of data management applications, users set an allotted time for an object to be immutable, after which it can be altered or deleted.).
- -Backup copy jobs that only copy the newest X restore points to cloud Object Storage,
- -Backup to on-premises Object Storage (such as Dell EMC ECS, Scaility, Object First etc.),
- -Direct to cloud, with good connection or low RPO/RTO requirements (Wasabi Hot Cloud Storage platform for example),
- -Agents running in the cloud.
Veeam v12.1 KMS Support: Blog Post
Veeam v12.1 Malware Detection and YARA: Blog Post
Wasabi Object Storage new features: Blog Post
VUG Fr Day in Monaco Recap
Detection & Response to Ransomware with Veeam: Blog Post
Offline versus Immutable Backups: Blog Post
Cuba ransomware and Veeam CVE-2023-27532: Blog Post
Akira ransomware infection routine: Blog Post
2023 Ransomware Trends Report
Play ransomware infection routine: Blog Post
New Veeam v12 Platform Overview: Blog Post
Veeam v12 Linux Without SSH And SUDO: Blog PostHardened Repository in Veeam v12: Blog Post
Wasabi Object Storage Usage with Veeam B&R v12: Blog Post
VeeaMover in v12: Blog Post
Ransomware & Cybersecurity with Veeam v12: Blog Post
Why backup directly to Object Storage? Blog Post
Veeam B&R v12 New Features Overview: Blog Post
[REPLAY] Webinar Veeam v12 and Wasabi: Replay
Protect your data with Veeam and Wasabi: Blog post
Wasabi – Object Lock feature spotlight: Blog post
Veeam and the S3-compatible object storage solutions: Blog Post
[PODCAST] VeeamUser Group France #1: Record
Conti initiates their attacks on Backup: Blog Post
Backup with Trusted Repository Storage: Blog Post.
Protect your Backup against Ransomware: Blog Post