In the upcoming Veeam Availability Suite v12 release (Veeam Backup & Replication 12 and Veeam One v12), Veeam announced some new features. Note: Veeam B&R 12 should be available in Q4 of 2022. With this release, Veeam wants to allow you to control and securely backup and recover your data anywhere in the hybrid cloud. Veeam enables organizations to confidently move to the cloud, avoiding lock-in with cloud mobility, and simplifying operations for Backup Administrators (jobs management, backup migration, etc.). Here’s an overview of new features.
Veeam Backup & Replication 12 (Veeam B&R 12):
- –Per VM Backup Chain – Veeam redesigned Per-VM technology to run a bit differently than in the past by creating a .vbm (metadata) file for every VM instead just one for the whole job. And with this, it is important to note – Backup Copy jobs will only use the Per-VM technology:
- –Single Active Full in a Backup Job + single retry – You will be able to run an Active Full on individual VMs, or Retry individual VMs which failed in a Backup Job, both of which can be run in the Job History view:
- –Health Check – Health Checks can be done outside a job schedule/backup window and is the recommended way to do so by Veeam. Now, your Job won’t take an exorbitant amount of time to run. The Health Check can be configured to run whenever, outside the Job window. Note: Backup & Restore tasks have priority over this task:
- –New Object Storage repository – You will now be able to directly backup your data to Object Storage, and have an immutable backup. You can not mix/match Object Storage Platforms (AWS, Azure Google GCS, etc): /ul>
- –Backup job possibilities with Object Storage:
Cloud Data Management brings new insights from data and rapid increases in productivity to speed the pace of innovation and the delivery of new digital services and experiences that improve how we live work. An enterprise securely automates the provisioning and management of the massive, constant flow of data running across multi-cloud infrastructures. This automated orchestration of data requires an evolution in how data is managed from policy-driven to behavior-driven, leveraging Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning to enable data to backup-up autonomously, migrate to the right location based on need, secure itself during anomalous activity, and recover instantaneously. Enterprises that run on Veeam solutions respond faster to any business need, gain multifold improvements inefficiencies, and have far greater agility to deliver new digital services and experiences that improve how we live and work.
- –PostgreSQL – Veeam is introducing a new database platform PostgreSQL v14. Some of the reasons for doing so are first and foremost, like SQL Express, it’s free. But, from a use and scalability perspective, it has no size limit or compute restrictions, and has improved performance over SQL Express. SQL Express will still be an usable option if it’s your preference. VBR and VEM have to be on the same database engine:
Other Linux improvements:
-Linux proxy: Backup from Storage Snapshots for NFS,
-CDP proxy on Linux,
-Tape server on Linux.
- –Global Exclusions – Global Exclude VM (in Veeam B&Rs Main Menu, can be based on individual VMs or container (such as Datastores or Tags):
- –MFA – Veeam is upping its security game by implementing Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) and Group Managed Service Accounts (gMSA). Enable auto logoff:
- –Best Practice Analyzer – Checks RDP & Remote Registry services, Windows F/W, Immutability, MFA, and credential password protection.
- –Move Backup:Probably one of the most important features upcoming in Veeam B&R v12 is the VM Move or Copy feature. Veeam has designed a new VeeaMover technology around Block Cloning with ReFS (Windows) and XFS (Linux). Customers who deploy Repositories that use some form of Block Cloning can now move their backup data around without worrying about losing space savings with Block Cloning (rehydrating). You can move a Backup Job from one Repository to another and the Block Cloning is maintained! You can also move individual VMs from one Backup Job to another without losing previous Backup chain data
- –Veeam Explorer for PostegreSQL – Point-in-time restore, alsi with Veeam Enterprise Manager, without agent:
VeeamON Update 2022 is coming soon, this year it will be a virtual event that will take place on Nov. 3 AMER & EMEA, Nov. 4 APJ! Basically, I have the opportunity to participate as official Media Partner between Veeam and Original-Network.com IT Blog. You can register here and hear about new product v12 capabilities (MFA, Object Storage, Move Backup, Security etc.), get an exclusive look at the next wave of enhancements and more.
This week, I’m in Prague for Veeam100Summit 2022 (with Veeam Vanguards and Legends community). Stay focused 😉
[REPLAY] Webinar Veeam v12 and Wasabi: Replay
Protect your data with Veeam and Wasabi: Blog post
Wasabi – Object Lock feature spotlight: Blog post
Veeam and the S3-compatible object storage solutions: Blog Post
[PODCAST] Veeam User Group France #1: Record
Conti initiates their attacks on Backup: Blog Post
Backup with Trusted Repository Storage: Blog Post.
Protect your Backup against Ransomware: Blog Post.