Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 enables you to take control of your Office 365 data with backup and recovery of Exchange, SharePoint and OneDrive for Business. Veeam is coming up on the release of VBO v5, which delivers purpose-built backup and recovery for Microsoft Teams. Learn everything you need to know about protecting Microsoft Teams data with VBO v5.
Remember that Microsoft provides a wide array of powerful services within Office 365 but a comprehensive backup of your Office 365 data is not one of them. Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 allows you to create backups of Microsoft Office 365 and on-premises Exchange and SharePoint organizations that contain users mailboxes, Microsoft SharePoint data, and OneDrive documents. Much-requested support for SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business! Not just user files but also group mail, OneDrive, sites and also other SharePoint sites. To explore the backups, you can use Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange or Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint both of which come as part of the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 distribution package. Veeam Explorers allow you to quickly recover users mailboxes, folders, messages, tasks, calendar items, and contacts. You can also restore your Microsoft SharePoint items and sites as well as Microsoft OneDrive documents. You can use the in-built send and save abilities to send any items as an attachment or save any items locally. You can even export Microsoft Exchange data using Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange functionality. Direct restore to Office 365 and Teams is supported for the following items: SharePoint Team sites and their subsites, files attached to Team and Chat messages and Team OneNote Notebooks. Important: For small businesses, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Community Edition provides free backup and recovery of Office 365 Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business, eliminating the risk of losing access and control over your Office 365 data, limited to 10 users and 1 TB of SharePoint data.
Organizations need Data Protection for Microsoft Office 365 Blog Post.
Microsoft Teams works differently. Rather than Teams data being stored within the Teams application, it is widely scattered throughout the Office 365 cloud. Different types of Teams content are stored in different locations. Here is a breakdown of where Teams data is stored:
- Message Data – Message data is currently stored in achat service table, but will eventually be stored in Cosmos DB. The chat data is also brought into Microsoft Exchange for compliance reasons.
- Images – Images are stored within the Media Services on Azure (in Blob storage). Like message data, images are imported into Exchange for compliance reasons.
- Files – Microsoft Teams stores files in different locations depending on the file type. Team files are stored in SharePoint, while chat files are stored in OneDrive for Business.
- Voice Mail Messages – Voice mail messages are stored inside individual users’ Exchange mailboxes.
- Recordings – Like images, recordings are stored in the Media Service on Azure in Blob storage. However, whereas images are imported into Exchange, recordings are instead encoded to Stream.
- Calendar Meetings – Calendar meetings are stored in user’s Exchange mailboxes.
- Contacts – Contacts are stored in Exchange
- Telemetry Data – Telemetry data is stored in a Microsoft data warehouse.
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 v5:
New Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 v5 has added purpose-built backup and recovery for Microsoft Teams. Now VBO is making it easier than ever for service providers to enable their users to quickly find and restore Teams data.
Version 5 of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 now includes:
- Purpose-built Teams backup: Full control and protection over Teams data,
- Faster and easier recovery: Industry-leading restore options built for Teams,
- Unmatched eDiscovery: Enables granular search and find across Teams components for seamless governance and compliance,
- Seriously powerful scalability: Enhanced performance to protect more users.
Nobody likes to think about the possibility of being subjected to litigation, but if someone does take legal action against your company then it will be critically important to have a reliable eDiscovery solution. For those who might not be familiar with the term, eDiscovery refers to the practice of locating all documents and other data that have been the subject of a subpoena. Microsoft Office 365 actually has its own built-in eDiscovery engine that allows an authorized user to search for any required data. With regard to Microsoft Teams, the eDiscovery engine is able to locate chat data, as well as messaging, files, meeting summaries, and call summaries.
As useful as Office 365’s eDiscovery capabilities might be, they aren’t perfect. Office 365 includes a mechanism called Legal Hold that allows documents that are surfaced during eDiscovery to be “put on hold” thereby preventing them from being deleted. The problem is that if you delete a user’s account then their Exchange mailbox is also deleted, even if it has been placed on legal hold. Remember, Microsoft Teams stores a lot of its data in Exchange mailboxes, so if an Exchange Mailbox is deleted then any Teams data residing in that mailbox is also deleted.
Learn everything you need to know about protecting Teams data from this Conversational Geek e-book.
By the way, the new official Veeam Office 365 Capacity Calculator is online. Just played around with this sizer and it is working awesome! Take a look at it and start using it! Great tool.
About Data Protection and Governance, do not hesitate to read these blog posts:
- Microsoft Office 365 protection with Varonis (Man-in-the Middle and Phishing attacks),
- Microsoft Office 365 backup with Veeam.
- Abnormal behavior, VPN, Proxy and DNS traceability, Risk Management with Varonis,
- Hardening settings for Domain Controllers.
Step by Step Guide Veeam Backup for Office365 v2 Installation – Step by Step Guide!
MUG – Microsoft User Group – First event in Monaco! Join us!.
br> br> br>