Stefan Renner (Alliance Systems Engineer) and Shawn Lieu (Veeam Solutions Architect, vExpert) published a white paper named Configuration Guide and Best Practices for NetApp and Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 (February 2017).
This white paper covers proper configuration and best practices for leveraging NetApp ONTAP and Veeam Backup & Replication. Advanced settings and options are available within the GUI and through registry changes. Customizing the deployment of Veeam to suit your environment will result in better performance and lower overhead.
Version 9.5 provides new levels of NetApp integration to orchestrate Data ONTAP, create application-consistent backups and enable fast recovery from NetApp storage snapshots. Version 9.5 also contains performance and scalability enhancements to meet the needs of the largest enterprise environments.
- -Prepare NetApp storage system
- -Veeam snapshot scanning
- -Backup and restore workflow for Storage Snapshots
- -Storage access rules
- -Design and proxy best practices for Backup from Storage Snapshots
- -Additional advanced options in the registry
- -NetApp advanced access options
- -Advanced configuration with NetApp MetroCluster installation
- -NetApp Snapshot and SnapMirror policy settings for ONTAP
- -Standard, version flexible and mirror-vault configurations
- -NetApp Namespace settings for ONTAP secondary systems (NFS only)
- -On-Demand Sandbox for Storage Snapshots
- -Granular ONTAP permission for Veeam Backup & Replication
From Veeam B&R v8, NetApp Integration with Veeam allows you to achieve:
- Fast backups: back up VMware VMs from NetApp storage snapshots up to 20 times faster
- Quick recovery: easily recover individual items from NetApp Snapshot, SnapMirror and SnapVault
- Improved protection: improve DR protection by creating instant, secondary backups from NetApp snapshots
This solution that allows you to respect 3-2-1 rule (3 backups on 2 medias with 1 offsite backup) so 3 copies of your data. Backups are realized directly from one NetApp snapshot.
NetApp configuration required:
- Firmware Data ONTAP 8.1 or later,
- Protocols: NFS, iSCSI and Fiber Channel (FC),
- NetApp deployment mode: 7-mode and Cluster-mode,
- Cloning LUN: clone standard and FlexClone.
Veeam Agent for Windows step by step installation guide.
If you need to install your Veeam Backup Server v9.5 you can follow this article.
If you need to upgrade your Veeam Backup Server (v9 or v9.5) you can follow this article.