In the upcoming Veeam Availability Suite v10 release (Veeam Backup & Replication 10 and Veeam One v10), Veeam announced some new features. Note: Veeam B&R 10 should be available in Q3 of 2017.
This week, I participated at VeeamON 2017 in New Orleans (United States) as Veeam Vanguard. It was the world’s premier availability event. Peter McKay, new co-CEO and President at Veeam Software told: “During the event, we shared our vision for how Veeam is committed to delivering seamless Digital Life experiences to users across the globe. With new innovations across Veeam Availability Suite and Veeam Availability Platform, we are revolutionizing the way enterprises deliver ‘Always-On’ Cloud Availability and how they operate in Multi-Cloud environments. The feedback from the event has been outstanding. More will follow on this soon, but be sure to keep your eyes peeled for more news and information on VeeamON 2018, coming soon.” So, the next VeeamON 2018 will take place in Chicago, May 14 to 18, 2018!
In Conference Center of New Orleans, Veeam started to announce some features which will be integrated into the next release of Veeam: Veeam Availability Suite 10. Then, Veeam Evangelists were talking about new products such as Veeam Availability Console (VAC), Veeam Agent for Windows, Veeam Availability Orchestrator (VAO), Veeam Backup for Office365 v1.5 and v2, Veeam Availability for AWS (Amazon), Veeam PN with Veeam DR in Microsoft Azure, Veeam Management Pack v8 Update 4 etc. Most important via this post is to show you the components which will let you managing easier your backup infrastructure. The new release allows you to improve your security policy and 3-2-1 rule (3 backups on 2 medias with 1 offsite backup) so 3 copies of your data and to meet your modern data restoration needs. Basically, you will be able to move from low RPO to continuous data protection!
I left for NOLA on Sunday 14, May 2017. You can follow my trip on my Twitter feed (@c_glemot). The number one reason to attend was specifically Veeam Availability Suite v10 – VeeamON was where Veeam had first announced and demo top v10 features. According to Gostev, v10 is huge! This event let the company make more educated decisions for your 2018 IT investments. Besides, there also was an incredible amount of field knowledge shared (deep dive, Vanguard NDA session, VMCE training etc.) that you can use right now for Veeam products versions which are generally available. As a Veeam-powered services Partner in Monaco and France: Veeam Service Provider – Veeam Gold Partner (Monaco Informatique Service – Avangarde) and Blogger, VeeamON was very interesting.
Basically, Veeam is focused on Cloud, non-stop business continuity, Digital Transformation agility, analytics, and visibility. Veeam wants to enable any business to deliver the Digital Life experience users expect with Veeam Availability Suite for the “always-on cloud”.
New features announced during the VeeamON 2017 in New Orleans:
Veeam Availability Suite 10 (Veeam B&R 10):
- –Veeam CDP (Continuous Data Protection) enables Service Providers to help clients preserve valuable data in top-tier applications during a disaster scenario. Then, it provides an additional service offering for VCSPs (Veeam Cloud Services Providers) by using Veeam CDP with Veeam Cloud Connect to utilize cloud storage as the primary target. Veeam CDP (without snapshots) – VMware continuous data protection to reduce RPOs from minutes to seconds. It leverage VMware’s VAIO framework to reliably intercept and redirect VM I/O to the replica without a need to create standard VM snapshots. There is one of my best new feature in version 10.
- –vCloud Director integration for Veeam Cloud Connect Replication enables partners to simplify multi-tenancy configurations by using vCloud organizations as DRaaS (Disaster Recovery as a Service) resource containers, allowing tenants to easily access replica VM consoles with vCloud Director’s native functionality.
- -Tape as a Service for Veeam Cloud Connect Backups enables the delivery of an additional “tape ou” service for tenants to help to meet compliance standards, have air-gapped backups to protect against ransomware of insider threat, and additional layer of DR protection in case of complete storage loss enabling service providers to restore the last full backup from tape.
- -Agent management in Backup & Replication and NAS (Network Attached Storage) for SMB and NFS shares. Support includes scalable SMB/NFS backups, flexible data protection through short and long-term retention policies and out-of-place restore to easily restore SMB/NFS files to any target. Backup and Restore from NAS – Restore options – Individual file folder Rollback file share state to PIT – the entire file share. NAS backup retains file versions rather than time-based retentions, very neat.
- -Native object storage support, freeing up costly primary backup storage with policy-driven automated data management to reduce long-term retention and compliance costs. Includes broad cloud object storage support with Amazon S3, Amazon Glacier, Microsoft Azure Blod and any S3/Swift compatible storage.
Veeam Backup for Office 365 v1.5:
- -A multi-repository, multi-tenant architecture enabling protection of larger Office 365 deployments with a single installation, while also empowering service providers to deliver Office 365 backup services.
- -RESTful API and PowerShell SDK automation possibilities to minimize management overhead, improve recovery times and reduce costs.
Veeam Backup for Office 365 v2:
- -Much-requested support for SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business! Not just user files but also group mail, OneDrive, sites and also other SharePoint sites.
Veeam Availability Console (RC):
- -Veeam Availability Console (VAC) can manage your Veeam Agents and Veeam B&R servers. VAC is free for VCSPs or Enterprise, agent deployment doesn’t deploy the agent – it tells the machine to pull from Veeam website interface. Should be available in Q3 2017. Step by Step Guide Veeam Availability Console Install and more information.
Core functionality of Veeam Availability Console:
Veeam Agent for Windows (launch):
- -Now available: Reduces cost and complexity for systems running in the public cloud. Delivers availability for Windows systems that cannot be virtualized (physical servers and workstations). Achieves low RPOs for the mobile workforce. Enabling users to manage virtual and physical infrastructures through the Veeam Backup & Replication console. Here’s step by step guide to install and download Veeam Agent for Windows.
Veeam Availability for AWS:
- -The industry’s first cloud-native, agentless data protection and availability solution for AWS applications and data helping enterprises to reliably move to and, manage a multi-cloud environment. This solution mitigates the risk of losing access to your applications and ensures protection of your AWS data against accidental deletion, malicious, and outages; with backup and restore for in-cloud AWS EC2 instances.
Veeam Availability Orchestrator (VAO):
- -Veeam Availability Orchestrator (VAO) is coming late of 2017, currently only works with a VMware backend. Orchestration of Veeam backups and replicas trough a defined disaster recovery plan. Automated non-disruptive disaster recovery testing to maintain reliability and avoid expensive manual processes. I think that’s one of the compelling reasons to take a look at Veeam Availability Orchestrator, automated documentation (built-in documenting, updating, and reporting of DR plans). Built on Veeam Virtual Labs: Veeam SureReplica technology, delegate labs per-Site, build custom lab environments, scheduling engine, granular testing and application verification dashboards for Failover Plan readiness.
Examples of reports:
Storage Integration API:
- -New universal storage API framework adding IBM, Lenovo and INFINIDAT to Veeam’s ever-growing ecosystem of strategic alliance partners which includes HPE, Cisco, NetApp, Dell EMC, Nimble and Exagrid. These combined solutions combined solutions enable users to leverage innovative storage controllers without negatively impacting production.
- -Veeam’s content pack for VMware vRealize log Insight is a powerful analytics and monitoring tool for the Veeam Availability Suite environment designed to provide users improved visibility, actionable insights, and management of Veeam infrastructure, reducing IT management costs and mitigating the risk of downtime.
- -Data Gravity’s fully federated search and analytics capabilities enable organizations to meet corporate data governance and regulatory compliance requirements while providing total data visibility, security and enhanced availability for IT, virtualization, and security professionals.
- -StarWind VTL for AWS and Veeam offers cost-effective and scalable tape replacement with Amazon S3 and Glacier object storage.
Veeam DR in Microsoft Azure:
- -Free tool! Veeam PN and Veeam Direct Restore for Microsoft Azure deliver Veeam Disaster Recovery in Microsoft Azure to dramatically minimize downtime during a disaster by simplifying and automating the setup of and on-demand DR to Azure solution. Veeam PN (Powered Network) is used to simplify the setup of DR. So, you can move your workloads from an environment that we already protect with Veeam, either VMware or Hyper-V, in Private or Public Cloud, and move it directly to Microsoft Azure to increase your availability.
Scale-Out Backup Repository Archive Tier:
- -New Veeam Availability Suite v10 will offer you the ability to move your backups from your DataCenter to Cloud Storage Providers such as: Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, or even to your own storage environment Which is compatible with S3. The new archive tier will deliver storage-agnostic support by enabling the archiving of backups to any storage or media, deliver backup data management by automatically moving the oldest backup files from primary storage to archive extents and provide broad cloud object storage support.
Veeam Management Pack v8 Update 4 (launch):
- -Microsoft Operation Management Suite Integration. Extend availability monitoring from on-premises to the cloud with out-of-the-bow Microsoft Operations Management Suite integration providing customers the visibility and control they require.
It was an honor to be part of the #VeeamVanguard delegation at #VeeamON 2017. Enjoyed a great time there. Hope to see you next year again!
You can learn more here.
You can learn more #VeeamON 2017, New Orleans – 220 seconds of memories!.